Absentee voting begins today
Jefferson County Board of Supervisors set a public hearing for May 19 to amend the fiscal year 2014 county budget and approved a noxious weeds resolution Monday.
In other news, absentee voting for the June 3 primary elections began today.
The June 3 primary election has party-affiliated ballots to select candidates for the November general election.
Absentee ballots can be cast in person at the auditor’s office in the Jefferson County Courthouse during regular business hours, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday through June 2.
Absentee ballots may be requested by mail by filling out an absentee ballot request form from the auditor’s office. The deadline to request an absentee ballot by mail is May 30. Ballots need to be postmarked by June 2 or earlier and received in the auditor’s office no later than June 9.
The June 3 primary ballots have the following names filed for election:
• U. S. Senator (to replace retiring Sen. Tom Harkin): Sam Clovis, Joni Ernst, Mark Jacobs, Scott Schaben and Matt Whitaker.
• U. S. Representative District 2: Mark S. Lofgren, Mariannette Miller-Meeks and Matthew C. Waldren.
• Iowa Governor: incumbent Terry E. Brandstad and Tom Hoefling.
• Secretary of State: (to replace Matt Schultz) Paul D. Pate.
• Auditor of State: incumbent Mary Mosiman.
• State Secretary of Agriculture: incumbent Bill Northey.
• State Senate District 41: incumbent Mark Chelgren.
• State Representative District 82: Jeff Shipley.
• State Representative District 84: incumbent Dave Heaton and Ralph Holmstrom.
• Jefferson County Board of Supervisors: incumbent Richard “Dick” Reed, unopposed.
• Jefferson County Treasurer: incumbent Terri Kness, unopposed.
• Jefferson County Attorney: incumbent Timothy W. Dille, unopposed.
• U. S. Senator (to replace retiring Sen. Tom Harkin): Bruce Braley.
• U. S. Representative District 2: incumbent Dave Loebsack.
• Iowa Governor: Jack Hatch.
• Secretary of State: (to replace Matt Schultz) Brad Anderson.
• Auditor of State: Jonathan Neiderbach.
• Treasurer of the State: incumbent Michael L. Fitzgerald, unopposed.
• State Secretary of Agriculture: Sherrie Taha.
• State Attorney General: incumbent Tom Miller, unopposed.
• State Senate District 41: Tom Rubel and Steve Siegel.
• State Representative District 82: incumbent Curt Hanson.
• Jefferson County Recorder: incumbent Kelly Lynn Spees, unopposed.