Art walk celebrates holiday season
Fairfield 1st Fridays Art Walk will celebrate the holidays with “living windows,” carolers, carriage rides and more from 6-9 p.m. Friday on and near the Fairfield square.
The art walk organization, Fairfield Area Chamber of Commerce, Fairfield Iowa Convention and Visitors Bureau, Fairfield Lions Club and area businesses have partnered to fill Friday evening with holiday cheer.
As they stroll around the square, art walkers will find “living windows” in businesses’s front windows.
Chickadee, At Home Store, Fairfield Art Association, Fairfield Nutrition, Health and Wholeness, Revelations Cafe and Bookstore and Thymely Solutions are planning live displays in their windows.
This is the third year, the Fairfield chamber of commerce has coordinated the living windows.
Santa Claus will be visiting children from 6-8 p.m. Friday in his Kandy Kane House in the northeast corner of Central Park.
Local students will be singing carols on the square, and horse-drawn carriage rides will let riders see the holiday lights in a unique way. The art walk team and the Lions are providing the carriage rides.
The Lions Club also will host its annual soup supper and auction at the Fairfield Senior Citizen Center. The supper, featuring homemade chili, chicken noodle soup, ham sandwiches and pie, will be served from 5-7 p.m. A free will offering will be collected for the supper.
The auction is set to begin at 6:30 p.m.
Instead of raising money for a specified local cause or group this year at the supper, the Lions are planning to see how much they bring in, then divvy the proceeds up to several deserving charitable causes.
The “Shop and Be Merry” downtown Fairfield holiday shopping event also will be taking place 4-9 p.m. Friday, and continuing 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.
The chamber and the visitors bureau planned and promoted Shop and Be Merry to attract additional local and out-of-town holiday shoppers, and more than a dozen shops are participating.
At the galleries
• Americus Gallery will show Christopher Kufner’s large-format photography on archival paper of the Tuscan countryside, original oil paintings featuring Italian/French landscapes, and figurative works. Original oil paintings by Kim Kufner, new original watercolor and ink paintings by Genevra Bell, original pastel farm landscapes by Gordon Kellenberger, art glass vases by David Lotton, Leaping Koi sculptures by Dale Divoky, and diochroic glass jewelry by Pedro Lujano also will be shown.
• Art 52 will feature a Dania DeBortoli Designs jewelry trunk show, artisan vintage revival styled jewelry and silk scarves.
• The Carnegie Historical Museum will be open.
• CoLab will have work by various artists on display.
• Crest Jewel will feature jewelry artist and silversmith Margaret Zacny, paintings by David Kupferman, and mixed media photo paintings by Terrence Kennedy.
• Fairfield Art Association, located in the Fairfield Arts & Convention Center, will continue its membership exhibit in the Main Gallery, with the winner of People’s Choice Award posted.
• Henderson’s Gallery & Framing will feature Stuart McCall Libby’s “Exhibits of Oils on Paper/Mono Prints” in its main gallery. An opening reception is planned from 6-8:30 p.m.
• ICON Gallery’s silent art auction fund raiser continues. Over 160 works of art by 80 artists are available. The fund raiser ends at 4 p.m. Saturday.
• Thymely Solutions will host artist Sarah Larson. She makes knit winter hats and will be making them during art walk. Hot tea will be served to anyone needing to warm up.
• Revelations will have paintings by Jennifer Blair and John Schirmer and yantras by Peter Clemens.
For additional information, contact the Chamber by calling 472-2111 or emailing Chamber@FairfieldIowa.com or contact Fairfield 1st Fridays Art Walk at 233-8883 or FairfieldArtWalk@gmail.com.