Art walk focuses on dance, motion
The Fairfield 1st Fridays Art Walk event from 7-11 p.m. Friday is all about “Art in Motion: Dance and the Performing Arts.”
The Art in Motion art walk features a showcase dance performance by local and regional dancers at the Fairfield Arts & Convention Center.
The showcase, held yearly as a fundraiser for art walk, offers a display of the dancers, choreographers and mentors that keep Fairfield’s dance community thriving. It will feature more than 40 dancers, with a dozen-plus different dance styles and genres represented.
The showcase begins at 7 p.m., with a welcome by master of ceremonies Michael Halley, and it wraps up with a free community dance from 10-11 p.m. in the convention center’s Business Pavillion.
The convention center will host a refreshment bar from 7-11 p.m., and Iowa native and country music star Jake McVey will be performing at 7 p.m. in the convention center’s Stephen Sondheim Center for the Performing Arts.
Also during the art walk, galleries on and near the Fairfield square will be open with exhibits and activities.
• 7 p.m. — master of ceremonies Michael Halley welcomes everyone to the showcase. He will introduce each dance performance throughout the evening.
• 7:15 p.m. — Square dance with Robin Ragen.
• 7:30 p.m. — Persian dance with Maryam Naraghi and Nora Salek.
• 7:35 p.m. — Lindy Hop with Daniel Blum and Geri Paguia.
• 7:40 p.m. — West Coast Swing with Peter Ecob and Michele Faith.
• 7:45 p.m. — Waltz with Paul Saipher and Gloria Proksch.
• 7:50 p.m. — Ballroom dance medley with Art Atkinson and Sue Gail.
• 8 p.m. — Isadora Duncan dances with Rebecca Bachar.
• 8:20 p.m. — Rumba dance with Lohrainne and Leagh Janell.
• 8:25 p.m. — Zumba-Caribbean dance by “The L & J Crew” with Jason Deprey, Leslie Harris, Taniya Handapangoda, Malalisa Markowitz and Suzie Gautherat.
• 8:30 p.m. — Bollywood dance with Wendy Stegall.
• 8:45 p.m. — Belly dance by “AURA” with Roxanne Cagwin, Janet Chelgren, Vicky Morrow, Nikki Barton, Allison Murphy and Amanda Smith.
• 9 p.m. — Fairfield High School Dance & Drill Team with hip-hop, jazz and novelty routines, coached by Heidi Bowman
• 9:20 p.m. — “Art-Wear In Motion” created by Judy Bales.
• 9:30 p.m. — English and contra dances with the “Fairfield Folk Art & Dance Co-op” and Jennifer Hamilton.
• 9:45 p.m. — Batchata, salsa and merengue by the Maharishi University of Management Latin Dance Club with Slobodan Dumuzliski.
• 10 p.m. — Open community dance with DJ Purple Star Entertainment Group.
Find out more
For more information on Fairfield 1st Fridays Art Walk, an Iowa Tourism Event of the Year and recipient of the Iowa Tourism Office’s Tourism and the Arts award event, contact art walk executive director Cindy Woodbury at 233-8883, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.FairfieldArtWalk.org.