Art walk has ‘Magic of the New Year’Galleries and art venues
Fairfield 1st Fridays Art Walk is starting the New Year Friday with a wave of enchantment as talented magicians delight and entertain the community with a “magical” celebration.
Frederick Swartz and Co., CPA’s and Tax & Accounting Services Inc. are sponsoring the January art walk.
From 7-8 p.m., onlookers will enjoy free performances at various locations around the Fairfield town square.
David Casas, a professional magician from Iowa City, will amaze onlookers with his award winning sleight of hand and fast paced showmanship at Central Park Futon Shop.
Fairfield’s own Luke Hillis and Jeff Kapec will display their special talents for card and close-up magic at Café Paradiso. Hillis will perform his astonishing card magic including floating, transforming and transporting the cards with expert skill. Kapec, a long-time admirer of Doug Henning, offers this performance in his honor.
Extraordinary street magic will be provided by Jesus Rios on the west side of the square. Rios, known as Mr. Illusion, is a professional magician formerly from Mount Pleasant, now living in Fairfield. He has performed at many Fairfield functions and is known to delight audiences with his creativity and humor.
Fairfield magician Fred Swartz will be performing with his comedy magic and sleight of mouth which will baffle even the most sophisticated audience at Church of the Holy Spirit.
George Winland will perform close-up magic right under your nose at Fairfield Nutrition.
Fire dance performance
At 8 p.m., fire dancer Michelle Alvey will light up the night in front of the Fairfield Arts & Convention Center with her spell binding artistry.
At 8:30 p.m., a magic competition with championship talent will ignite the stage of the convention center’s Stephen Sondheim Center for the Performing Arts. Thrill to grand stage illusions, masterful sleight of hand and unforgettable comedy along with audience participation.
Swartz will be the master of ceremonies and delight young and old with a host of magical and comedic surprises.
Keith West, a Las Vegas-style magician and president of the Entertainment Group in West Des Moines, will bring his stage illusions to the theater.
Casas has won several magic competitions around the country with his dynamic stage presence and exceptional skill. He has toured with his award winning act and has been a headline performer at casinos, comedy clubs, and universities. Rounding out the evening will be Rios, who will present comedy and illusion.
Admission for the Magic Competition is $2.
For information on Fairfield 1st Fridays Art Walk, an Iowa Tourism Event of the Year and recipient of the Iowa Tourism Office’s Tourism and the Arts award event, contact Dania De Bortoli at 233-8883, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.FairfieldArtWalk.org.
Galleries and art venues
• Americus Gallery will be showing Christopher Kufner’s original oil paintings.
• The Fairfield Art Association announces the opening of a new exhibit on loan from the collection of Douglass A. and Grace White of Fairfield. The works of German artist Rudolph Bernard Neugebauer, will be on display in the Main Gallery at the Fairfield Arts & Convention Center beginning Friday. An opening reception will be held 6-8 p.m. Friday.
• Flying Leap will have Genevra Daley Bell’s new series of her very popular watercolor and ink animal portraits featuring remarkably inventive animal artists. Scooter Glithorthian’s newest creatures visit Earth’s landscapes with blessings, mischief and curiosity. The activity in the studio is the creation of a New Year’s collage.
• ICON Gallery continues its exhibit by Madeline de Joly and Gillian Brown. Brown is a long-time Maharishi University of Management art professor and de Joly is a California transplant. The show continues through Jan. 26.
• The Mosaic Studio will feature Iowa scenery, barns, flowers, and harvest fruit, small hand-painted marble tile murals in traditional or whimsical designs, mosaic tables, mirrors, pots, clocks and more.