Fairfield Ledger
http://fairfield-ia.villagesoup.com/p/915510

Neighbors Growing Together | Apr 20, 2014

Ask questions before vote on facilities

By Mark Myers | Oct 25, 2012

To the editor:

Over the last few weeks, the Opinion page has been filled with letters regarding the new pool and gym proposal. As with any community project, there are people on both sides of the fence. Personally, I think that it is great that folks from all walks of life are involved in this, whether it is writing a letter voicing your opinion, attending the public meeting a few weeks ago, or the members of the task force themselves.

The outdoor pool has been a part of Fairfield for over 45 years. On a personal level, my four year old son represents the fourth generation of my family that has used the outdoor pool. My mom and I both worked there. My wife has spent summers with all three sons at that pool, and the older two were lifeguards in high school.

I can remember sitting in a lifeguard chair and seeing a procession line of day care kids, towels draped over their little shoulders, marching towards the bathhouse. Or walking into work just before 1:00 and wading through a line of people, sometimes 50 deep. Adult aqua aerobics class would just be finishing up at this time, as well. We would teach swimming lessons in the mornings, be packed all afternoon, and have entire families enjoy the pool during the evening shift.

During the better part of this year, I have envisioned my son and me shooting hoops at the new gym during the winter, while my wife watches us while walking laps on the track. Weekend basketball tournaments, indoor practices, old women in matching track suits taking walks. And that is only scratching the surface of what can be offered to our citizens…not just now, but future generations as well.

I support this project. I feel that there is no real “downside” to this. Fairfield will be replacing a facility that it needs – an outdoor pool – as well as adding a gym facility that, once built, we will wonder how we ever lived without.

However, I do think that there are people against this project that have raised important questions. My suggestion to every Fairfield citizen is this…keep asking questions. Call City Hall or a member of the Task Force. Before you step into the voting booth and turn the ballot over, make sure you have no doubt that you have been educated on this project. The information is available. Get all of it you can, and then cast your vote. Please keep in mind that you are voting to approve only 30 percent of the estimated total for this project, which will only be used if the remaining 70 percent can be gained through the county, grants, and private donations.

These facilities are being designed to be used by everyone, regardless of age, wealth, or any other variable. The Task Force did not rush into this…they put in a great deal of time and effort to ensure that these facilities would meet everyone’s needs, at a cost that would be justified to the people of Fairfield. Please cast your vote on these facilities (which can be found on the back of the ballot).

 

— Mark Myers, Fairfield

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.