Deep Keokuk squads oust Fairfield tennis teams
An older and more experienced Keokuk squad toppled the Fairfield boys’ tennis team in its season opener Tuesday on the Fairfield Middle School tennis courts.
Keokuk earned wins in five of six singles matches and swept the doubles contests for an 8-1 victory. Fairfield’s lone win came from sophomore Alexander Punj at No. 1 singles. Punj lost the first set to Keokuk’s Dan Williams 6-4, but the sophomore stormed back to win the second set 6-0 and the third-set tiebreaker 10-7.
Punj also won a pair of games in No. 1 doubles alongside teammate Gannon Haile. The duo lost the match 6-1, 6-1.
The Trojan boys visit Southeast Conference foe Mount Pleasant on Thursday.
Fairfield girls drop conference tilt
KEOKUK — The Fairfield girls’ tennis team dropped a dual to Keokuk to open the season Tuesday.
The No. 3 doubles team of Courtney Laux and Hanna Kerr earned the only win for Fairfield, defeating their opponents 8-6.
Kim O’Carroll lost a close match, 9-7, to Keokuk’s Lakyn Boltz in No. 3 singles action.
In JV play, Fairfield’s No. 8 Emma Lemlin easily defeated Priya Khanolkar 8-3.
The Trojans have their home opener Thursday vs. Mount Pleasant.
Fairfield @ Keokuk
1. Kite (K) def. Gilpin (FF) 8-1
2. Schulte (K) def. Williams (FF) 8-2
3. Boltz (K) def. O’Carroll (FF) 9-7
4. Kemp (K) def. Hathaway (FF) 8-0
5. Hasselbush (K) def. Laux (FF) 8-4
6. Logan (K) def. Kerr (FF) 8-4
1. Schulte/Kite (K) def. Gilpin/O’Carroll (FF) 8-4
2. Boltz/Kemp (K) def. Williams/Hathaway (FF) 8-5
3. Laux/Kerr (FF) def. Hasselbusch/Pfaffe (K) 8-6