Fairfield native, family will serve five-year mission to Russia
A former Fairfield resident, Steve Cecil and family of Madison, Wis., are gearing up to be missionaries to Russia for the next five years.
Steve and his wife Kim, and three children, Kaela, 12, Connor, 8, and Caeden 5, will leave the U.S. Aug. 26, and move to Sochi, Russia, where the national leader of Europe Area Missions lives.
The Cecils said this call to serve has been 18 years in the making.
In 1994, after taking classes focused on the ex-Soviet Union, Kim Cecil sensed a lifelong call from God to the Russian people, she said. She graduated with a degree in anthropology from the University of Wisconsin in 1996 with a specialization in Russian and Slavic culture.
She taught English in the Russian-speaking city of Tashkent, Uzbekistan in 1997-98.
After marrying Steve in 1998, the couple continued to sense God’s call to this part of the world. They traveled there on and off over the next 14 years.
Since 2009 Kim Cecil has served as the District Missions Representative for the Heartland District of Foursquare Churches.
“It has further developed my heart, passion and education,” she said. “It’s been a wonderful preparation for the call to the field.”
Steve Cecil similarly felt called to missions early in his ministry life. He traveled to Uzbekistan, Russia and Ukraine with his wife, as well as many other countries.
Most recently, he has worked closely with leaders in Haiti to develop and fund an orphanage.
“My experiences in pastoral leadership, church planting, coaching, collaboration and district leadership will help us accomplish the assignments we’ve been asked to fulfill,” he said.
Areas the Cecils will focus on in their missionary work include:
• Identifying and developing leaders within current churches.
• Training in evangelism and outreach that is currently relevant and indigenously-focused
• Praying and strategizing with Russian leaders throughout Europe about how to plant churches in key cities and regions.
• Encouragement and discipline in family life, emotional health and understanding key biblical issues.
The city they are moving to, Sochi, is the setting for the 2014 Winter Olympics.
“We are praying this is used mightily by God to evangelize people from all over the world and to plant churches,” said Steve Cecil.
The Cecils have specific prayer requests for their mission:
• Pray for provision, favor and traveling mercies and help with their three children.
• Pray for language acquisition for the entire family.
• Pray for the Lord to prepare them physically, emotionally and spiritually for this challenging transition.
• Pray 2 Corinthians 9:8 — “And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.”
The Cecils invite anyone to follow them on Facebook at Cecil’s Journey to Russia.
Visit online at give.foursquare.org/cecil to sponsor a monthly donation.
Steve Cecil is the son of the Rev. Jim and Cherie Cecil at Fairfield’s Foursquare Gospel Church.