Fairfield tennis rolls over Albia
The Trojan girls’ tennis team cruised to its second victory of the season, a 6-3 dual win over Albia, Tuesday at the Fairfield Middle School courts in Fairfield.
The Trojans picked up four match wins in singles play en route to the win, and sophomore Karley Williams once again led the way. Williams earned an 8-1 victory over Amber Mills at No. 2 singles before teaming up with Rachel Hathaway to claim an 8-4 victory at No. 2 doubles.
Kim O’Carroll won 8-3 at No. 3 singles, and Hathaway came through with an 8-2 win at No. 4. Courtney Laux tacked on an 8-4 win at No. 5 singles, and she worked with Hanna Kerr to pick up a 9-7 win at No. 3 doubles.
The Trojans also took three of five doubles matches in JV play. Fairfield’s Meghan Shelangoski and Madison Soupiset rolled to an 8-0 victory at No. 4 doubles, while teammates Emma Lemlin and Harley Cook won an 8-3 match. Caitie Johnston and Bryana Gridley earned an 8-6 win.
Fairfield has won its last two home duals and looks for more of the same when it hosts Davis County on Thursday.
Fairfield vs. Albia
1. Williams (A) def. Gilpin (FF) 9-7
2. Williams (FF) def. Mills (A) 8-3
3. O’Carroll (FF) def. Hastings (A) 8-3
4. Hathaway (FF) def. Billings (A) 8-2
5. Laux (FF) def. Showers (A) 8-4
6. Post (A) def. Kerr (FF) 8-5
1. Williams/Mills (A) def. Gilpin/O’Carroll (FF) 8-6
2. Williams/Hathaway (FF) def. Hastings/Billings (A) 8-4
3. Laux/Kerr (FF) def. Showers/Post (A) 9-7