Fairfield Ledger
http://fairfield-ia.villagesoup.com/p/1192944

Neighbors Growing Together | Oct 31, 2014

Family escapes fire but home damaged

By ANDY HALLMAN | Jun 04, 2014
Photo by: ANDY HALLMAN Though the structure of the trailer house was left intact, a fire at Leisure Living Estates Lot 87 so badly damaged that home Tuesday night that its inhabitants will have to find alternative lodging.

An electrical fire at a trailer home in Fairfield has left a family without a place to stay.

The fire occurred at about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday at Lot No. 87 in Leisure Living Estates, a trailer park on North 28th Street. Elizabeth McCoy, her three children and Carla Strawhacker, the aunt of McCoy’s fiancé Tommy Strawhacker, were all in the house at the time of the fire, and were able to escape unharmed. McCoy said no one suffered smoke inhalation except possibly her cat, which a firefighter rescued from the burning home.

“We were in the living room watching TV just before we were about to go to bed,” McCoy began. “Tommy’s aunt Carla said, ‘I think there’s something burning.’ I looked in the kitchen and there was a whole bunch of smoke. I went looking for whatever it was and saw the flames coming from the wall.”

Carla Strawhacker said as soon as McCoy saw flames, the adults got the kids out of the house as quickly as possible and immediately called the fire department. McCoy said the fire came from an electrical outlet in between the home’s front room and the room of her daughter.

The Fairfield Fire Department arrived quickly on the scene to put out the fire before it could destroy the house. Eighteen firefighters used water to extinguish the flames and were on the scene until 10:45 p.m. Unfortunately, the combination of smoke and water damage left the home unlivable, and the family did not have insurance on the home. The American Red Cross has stepped in to help the family, providing them three nights at The Best Western Fairfield Inn.

McCoy has two boys and a girl. Lexus, 12, attends Fairfield Middle School while Caine, 9, and Koby, 6, attend Pence Elementary School. This morning, Pence principal Chris Welch visited the family members to let them know the school wanted to do everything possible to help them in their time of need.

The fire department advised the family to wait a day before entering the home to avoid inhaling any residual smoke. McCoy said she was impressed with how quickly the fire department responded and how kind the firefighters were.

“They did an excellent job,” she said.

 

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.