Farmers’ market vouchers available for seniors
As part of a national initiative, Milestones Area Agency on Aging will begin distributing vouchers to low- and moderate-income seniors for use at local farmers’ markets.
To qualify, applicants must live in Iowa and be age 60 or older on the date of application. Disabled individuals under age 60 are not eligible through this program.
Annual income requirements are $21,590 or below for a single person and $29,101 or below for a married couple. Both husbands and wives can receive checks. Recipients must sign a statement of eligibility that includes their name, address, phone number and the last four digits of their Social Security number.
Recipients are awarded 10 $3- checks valued at $30. The checks can be used June through October for fresh, unprepared, locally grown fresh fruits, vegetables, herbs and honey at participating farmers’ market vendors. Checks cannot be used for baked goods, eggs, jelly, meat, etc.
Distribution of the coupons will take place at the Milestones Area Agency on Aging senior nutrition centers throughout the following 10 counties of Appanoose, Davis, Jefferson, Keokuk, Lucas, Mahaska, Monroe, Van Buren, Wapello and Wayne.
If a senior misses the distribution date, check at the local meal site to see if the checks are still available. Checks will be distributed on a first-come basis.
A “Statement of Eligibility” can be obtained from the county site manager in advance, but cannot be returned until the date of distribution.
A proxy can act on behalf of more then one eligible recipient only if the proxy is directly related to the additional eligible recipients. Seniors must not sign the checks until they go to the market. Vendors will not accept pre-signed checks.
Area distribution is set for:
• 1-2 p.m. June 20, Agency United Methodist Church.
• 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. June 17, Douds Senior Center
• 1-3 p.m. June 16, Fairfield Senior Citizen Center.
• 10 a.m. to noon June 19, Fairfield Senior Citizen Center.
• 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 16, Farmington Community Center.
• 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. June 13, Hedrick Community Center. • 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 20, Keosauqua Senior Center.
• 11 a.m. to noon June 18, Lockridge Community Center.
• 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. June 18, Milton American Legion Building.
• 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. June 19, Stockport Senior Center.
For more sites, call 855-410-6222 or visit www.milestonesaaa.org.