First Lutheran Church youth receive college financial assistance
First Lutheran Church of Fairfield recently announced the recipients of the scholarships and scholarship/loans for 2013.
Eight students will receive $750 each, for a total award of $6,000 this year.
Students receiving awards are:
• Megan Thompson — she is a second year graduate student in physical therapy at the University of Iowa.
• Erin Thompson — will be a freshman at Simpson College in Indiannola.
• Rachel Robinson — is a senior at St. Ambrose University in Davenport.
• Grant Curran — is a junior at the University of Iowa.
• Rachel Schwarz — is a junior of at the University of Northern Iowa.
• Daniel Schwarz — is a first-year student at Indian Hills Community College.
• Haley Grunwald — will be a freshman at St. Norbert College in De Pere, Wis.
• Amanda Kuiken — is enrolled in a master’s program through Concordia University of Portland, Ore.
Half the amounts awarded are to be repaid within five years, with no interest, after the recipients complete their formal education. The loan portion starts accruing interest at 5 percent if not paid repaid within the five-year time period.
First Lutheran Church also is awarding additional scholarships, due to the generosity of the families of Dale and Mildred Krumboltz, $400 to Erin Thompson; and Dr. and Mrs. James Dunlevy, $400 each to Curran and Megan Thompson. These two scholarships are endowed by family gifts to First Lutheran Church and each year’s earnings fund scholarships.
This the 13th year of awarding student loan/scholarships. More than $87,000 has been awarded to youth in the church to assist in furthering their education.
Recipients are encouraged to pay it forward in any church they attend after formal education is completed.