IDOT: Motorists, use caution in work zones throughout holiday
AMES — Many travelers will be on Iowa’s highways this Labor Day holiday weekend, and the Iowa Department of Transportation and the state’s counties and cities want to remind travelers to use extra caution in work zones.
Listed below are the main IDOT projects that may have traffic impacts on the Labor Day holiday. Many more projects are under way on state-maintained and county roads, as well as city streets, according to the IDOT’s Office of Construction and Materials.
For traveler information anytime, call 511 within Iowa or 800-288-1047 nationwide; stay connected with 511 on Facebook or Twitter (find links at www.iowadot.com/511/socialmedia.html); or download the free mobile app to a mobile device.
• I-35, Polk County in West Des Moines; the capacity improvement of I-35 between the I-35/I-80/I-235 interchange and the Raccoon River bridge is underway. Traffic is maintained on two lanes in each direction using the existing northbound lanes and median sections constructed last year. I-35 southbound to Grand Avenue is closed. Grand Avenue to southbound I-35 is closed.
• I-80, Polk County; work continues on I-80 near Altoona from the U.S. 65 bypass to east of the I-80/U.S. 65 interchange. The project includes reconstructing the Altoona interchange, capacity improvements to westbound I-80 and reconstruction of the 34th Avenue northwest bridge over I-80. Two lanes of traffic on I-80 are being maintained in each direction during peak hours.
• I-35/80, Polk County; I-35/I-80 is being resurfaced from the west junction of I-235 north to Iowa 141. The asphalt concrete resurfacing is being completed at night to allow normal traffic patterns during the daytime.
• I-235, Polk County; this project includes construction of a westbound I-235 auxiliary lane between the 73rd Street and 63rd Street interchanges in Windsor Heights. Three westbound traffic lanes on I-235 are being maintained. The 73rd Street off-ramp is closed.
• U.S. 65, Polk County; the project includes construction of two pairs of overflow bridges on U.S. 65 near the Des Moines River. The northbound bridges are currently being constructed and southbound bridges will be built in 2014. Traffic is restricted to a two-lane, two-way configuration in the southbound lanes during the 2013 construction season.
• U.S. 20, Hamilton County; Hamilton eastbound U.S. 20 from Iowa 17 to U.S. 69 is being reconstructed. Traffic is operating in a two-lane, two-way traffic configuration in the westbound lanes.
North central/Northeast Iowa
• I-380/U.S. 20 Black Hawk County; I-380/U.S. 20 is open to two-lanes of traffic in each direction from River Forest Road in Evansdale east 6.6 miles to the east I-380/U.S. 20 interchange. During the next several weeks, there may be workers and equipment working near the roadway, as well as nighttime lane closures. Visit the project website for complete details at www.iowadot.gov/i380.
• U.S. 63, Black Hawk County; as part of a two-year project, U.S. 63 is being reconstructed from Newell/Conger Street to Donald Street at the north edge of Waterloo. Traffic is restricted to one lane in each direction in a two-lane, two-way traffic pattern. Motorists should be prepared to encounter traffic delays when travelling through this project area.
• U.S. 63, Black Hawk County; U.S. 63 from just south of Hudson to U.S. 20 is scheduled to reopen to traffic on Thursday weather permitting. During the next several weeks, there may be workers and equipment working near the roadway.
• U.S. 18, Floyd County; one lane of U.S. 18 is closed in each direction 2 miles east of County Road S-70 due to bridge approach work.
• I-29, Woodbury County; I-29 in Sioux City continues to be reconstructed. Construction activities are scattered throughout the entire I-29 corridor from the Singing Hills interchange north. Through traffic is maintained at all times. Visit the project website for complete details at www.iowadot.gov/i29/index.htm.
• Iowa 86, Dickinson County; Iowa 86 is being reconstructed in Dickinson County from Iowa 9 north to the Minnesota state line. The roadway is closed during construction. Traffic is detoured on Iowa 9, U.S. 71 and Interstate 90 in Minnesota.
• U.S. 75, Plymouth County; U.S. 75 is being reconstructed through Merrill. Traffic is maintained in a two-lane, two-way configuration through the project.
• I-80, Johnson County; median barrier rail is being installed on I-80 from I-380 to east of the Iowa 1 interchange. Two lanes of traffic in each direction maintained from the Iowa 1 interchange east 1.7 miles to the end of project.
• U.S. 30, Clinton County; U.S. 30 is being reconstructed in Clinton from South 14th Street east to Fifth Street. Westbound traffic is restricted to one lane through this area.
• U.S. 30, Linn County; the deck on the eastbound U.S. 30 bridge, located 1.6 miles west of I-380, is being replaced. Width restrictions for eastbound traffic are in effect, with two 10-foot wide lanes being maintained through the project.
• U.S. 52/61/151, Dubuque County; from the U.S. 52 intersection to the Grandview Avenue interchange, replacement of the existing bridges spanning Catfish Creek and pavement, as well as improvements at the U.S. 52 intersection. Traffic through the project is maintained in a two-lane, two-way configuration with a 10-foot width in each direction.
• U.S. 30 and Iowa 1, Linn County; Iowa 1 traffic is detoured in Mount Vernon due to the roundabout construction on U.S. 30 at 10th Avenue and Iowa 1. Iowa 1 traffic is being redirected on Rachel Street and Virgil Avenue, with a 10-foot wide lane available in each direction. There are also width restrictions on U.S. 30. Traffic is being directed to a two-lane, two-way pattern with a 10-foot wide lane being maintained in each direction.
• U.S. 67, Scott County; a roadway repair project is being performed on U.S. 67 approximately 1 mile south of I-80. One lane of traffic is being maintained in each direction.
• U.S. 6, Muscatine County; U.S. 6 is closed west of West Liberty for bridge construction. Traffic is being detoured on Muscatine County Road X-30, I-80 and Muscatine County Road X-40.
• Iowa 130, Cedar County; Iowa 130 is closed during construction of a new bridge located 1.9 miles east of Tipton. Traffic is being detoured on Iowa 38, U.S. 30 and Cedar County Road X-64.
South central/Southeast Iowa
• I-35, Clarke County; two southbound I-35 bridges over Squaw Creek are being replaced, one 2.5 miles north of Iowa 152 and another 0.7 mile north of Iowa 152. Traffic is restricted to a two-lane, two-way configuration in the northbound lanes.
• I-35, Decatur County; southbound I-35 from Iowa 2 north to the Clarke County line is closed for reconstruction. Traffic is restricted to a two-lane, two-way configuration in the northbound lanes.
• U.S. 34, Wapello County; the bridge superstructures carrying U.S. 34 over the Des Moines River in Ottumwa are being replaced. Traffic is restricted to a two-lane, two-way configuration on the eastbound bridge.
• I-35, Warren County; construction work started on a two-year project on southbound I-35 from 1.6 miles south of Cumming (Warren County Road G-14) interchange north to Iowa 5. A variety of traffic control measures are in effect.
• I-35, Warren County; the southbound I-35 bridge over the North River is being replaced. Traffic is restricted to a two-lane, two-way configuration in the northbound lanes.
• U.S. 61/Muscatine Bypass from Iowa 92 to Iowa 38, Muscatine County; paved shoulders and patching work are being completed on the Muscatine bypass from Iowa 92 to Iowa 38. Traffic will be controlled by lane closures.
• U.S. 65, Warren County; paved shoulders are being placed on U.S. 65 from Liberty Center north to the east junction of Warren County Road G-58. Traffic will not be interrupted over the holiday weekend.
• I-29, Pottawattamie County; I-29/I-80 from the Missouri River bridge in Council Bluffs east approximately 3 miles to the Lake Manawa/South Expressway interchange is being graded and paved as part of the bridge construction work. Through traffic is maintained. Single lane closures may occur during off-peak hours.
Southbound I-29 from the Mills County line to Iowa 92 interchange is being reconstructed. Traffic is maintained in a two-lane, two-way operation in the northbound lanes.
• I-29, Mills County; I-29 dual bridges over Iowa 2 and the dual bridges 1.5 miles south of Iowa 2 are being repaired. Traffic is maintained in single lanes for both travel directions.
Contact Mark Bortle at 515-239-1587 or firstname.lastname@example.org for general work zone safety questions.
For questions on specific projects, call or email the appropriate IDOT contact listed below:
• District 5 (southeast Iowa): Tim Ehrich at 641-469-4018 or email@example.com.
• District 6 (east central Iowa): Doug McDonald at 319-364-0235 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• District 1 (central Iowa): Jesse Tibodeau at 515-239-1542 or email@example.com.
• District 2 (north central Iowa): Dave Roeber at 641-422-9448 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• District 3 (northwest Iowa): Darwin Bishop at 712-274-5826 or email@example.com.
• District 4 (southwest Iowa): George Feazell at 712-243-7628 or firstname.lastname@example.org.