Contact: Jefferson County Health Center
2000 S. Main
Fairfield, IA 52556
ABOUT JEFFERSON COUNTY HEALTH CENTER
Jefferson County Health Center, Iowa's oldest county hospital, was dedicated September 17, 1912, and opened October 2, 1912. A bond issue of twenty-five thousand dollars was voted to build the 3-story, 25-bed hospital. This was only the second time in the history of the world that rural people voted a tax on themselves to build a hospital. Private donations furnished and equipped it.
Our hospital established a nurse's education program in 1912, graduating a total of 63 nurses, and remained active until 1932. In 1917, the physicians and nurses formed Unit R, a Red Cross volunteer group, which was attached to the U.S. Army and served in France during World War I under the leadership of Dr. Clark.
Various building projects were completed in 1949, 1963, 1970 and 1993. The only portion that remains of the original 1912 structure is the basement.
JCHC became a critical access hospital in November 2004.
JCHC moved into a new state-of-the-art 25 bed hospital in April of 2009. The medical campus also includes the physician practices of Medical Arts, Fairfield Clinic and the Doug Johnson Dialysis Center.
Due to continued growth and community need a new addition opened in 2013 which is home to an expanded Medical Arts Clinic, American Eyecare, NuCara Pharmacy and Southeast Iowa Neurological Associates.
Our hospital continues its tradition of superior commitment and exceptional care and is among the top-rated hospitals nationwide for patient satisfaction.
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Dialysis - Southeastern Renal Dialysis Center conveniently located on the Jefferson County Health Center Campus
- Hospice - The Health Center is served by four hospice providers
- Lab Services
- Continuous Wellness - You choose your own lab test
- Radiology, including Digital Mammography, Ultrasound, CT Scans, and EEG's
- Mammography Assistance Program Information
- Nursing Services
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Emergency Department staffed 24 hours daily by Emergency Room Physicians provided by Des Moines Physician Practice Management company Acute Care, Inc. www.acutecare.com
Outpatient Treatments & Services
- Physical Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Suicide Prevention
- Sleep Lab
- Mobile Stereotactic Breast Biopsies
- Numerous Surgical Procedures
- Nuclear Scans
- Stereotactic Breast Biopsies
Additional Services/Other Health Resources
- Outpatient mental health clinics are located in Fairfield.
- Fairfield has two nursing home facilities.
- Jefferson County provides Public Health Nurses, along with Social Services.
- Fairfield is served by a paramedic level ambulance service, with 24-hour service. Air ambulance services are available from the University of Iowa Hospitals in Iowa City (response time is 22 minutes).