Fairfield Ledger
http://fairfield-ia.villagesoup.com/p/1653186

Neighbors Growing Together | May 24, 2017

Law agencies stepping up seat belt enforcement Memorial Day weekend

May 17, 2017

DES MOINES – From May 22 through June 4, state and local law enforcement agencies across the nation, as well as Iowa, will be stepping up seat belt enforcement.

Iowa’s seat belt usage rate of 94 percent is one of the highest in the nation, but the remaining 6 percent of vehicle occupants account for approximately half of all traffic fatalities.

The Department of Public Safety and the Governor’s Traffic Safety Bureau say seat belts are the single most effective way to survive a crash.

The bureau would like to bust some seat belt myths based on 2015 data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration):

• Pickup trucks will not protect you in a crash if you are not wearing a seat belt. Sixty percent of pickup truck occupants who were killed were not buckled. That compares to 42 percent of passenger car occupants.

• Where you sit in the vehicle does not matter. Forty-seven percent of all front-seat passenger vehicle occupants killed in crashes were not wearing seat belts; 57 percent of those killed in back seats were unrestrained.

• Country driving is not safer. Nationwide, there were 12,797 traffic fatalities on rural roads compared to 8,262 on urban streets. Fifty percent of those killed in rural crashes were unbuckled compared to 46 percent in urban crashes.

• Young drivers are dying at a disproportionate rate because they are not wearing seat belts, especially young males.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.