Migratory game bird hunting seasons approved
The Natural Resource Commission of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources approved the 2013-14 migratory game bird hunting seasons during its Aug. 8 meeting.
• A new waterfowl refuge at Union Hills Wildlife Management Area, in Cerro Gordo County. The posted refuge is all Union Hills WMA property west of the former county road Dogwood Avenue.
• The possession limit for ducks and geese is now three times the daily bag limit.
• The daily bag limit for scaup is three.
• The daily bag limit for canvasbacks is two.
• The season on pigeons has been removed. It is now a continuous open season.
• No bag limit for light geese during the Conservation Order.
In the South Zone:
• The Ducks, Mergansers and Coots season is Sept. 21-25 and Oct. 19 through Dec. 12.
• Youth-only is Oct. 12-13.
• The Canada geese and Brant season is Oct. 5 through Jan. 10.
• The white-fronted geese season is Oct. 5 through Dec. 17.
• The light geese season, which includes white and blue phase snow geese and Ross’s geese, is Oct. 5 through Jan. 17.
The statewide seasons are: Doves, Sept. 1 through Nov. 9; Snipe, Sept. 7 through Nov. 30; Rails, including Sora and Virginia, Sept. 7 through Nov. 9; Woodcock, Oct. 5 through Nov. 18; Light Goose Conservation Order, including white and blue phase snow geese and Ross’ geese, and additional regulations applying, Jan. 18 through April 15.
For information on bag limits, zones and more hunting rules, go to www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/MigratoryGameBirds.aspx.