MSAE wins state team tennis titlePioneers win triple crown
State singles and doubles titles weren’t enough for the Maharishi School of the Age of Enlightenment boys’ tennis team this season.
After wins over Boone and St. Edmonds Fort Dodge Tuesday in Waterloo, the Pioneers became Class 1A team state champions for the fifth time in school history.
The win places MSAE in elite company. This is the third triple crown, which is when a team wins the team, singles and doubles titles in one season, for MSAE, which is a state record. Des Moines Roosevelt and Dubuque Wahlert both did it twice, but now the Pioneers stand alone. MSAE is also the only team to reach 10 consecutive team final four and a total of 12 championship matches.
The Pioneers started the day off by defeating Boone 5-0. State singles champion Sam Stickels won the No. 1 match 6-2, 6-1. Chandre Morales, Solaris Nite, Surya Sawhney and Girindra Selleck each won as well. David Fleshman was winning his match when it was stopped because the Pioneers had already taken the majority of the points.
Fort Dodge St. Edmonds took nearly three and a half hours to defeat Decorah, which left them worn out when it came time to take on MSAE.
“We were done in a hour and 10 minutes, and then had to wait for the other match to finish,” MSAE coach Steve Briggs said. “The guys really took care of business and we needed to, because in June it can get hot and muggy. We’ve ran out of gas in the past.”
This time, it was MSAE’s opponent that ran out of gas. The Pioneers took the state title with a 5-2 win. Stickels, Morales, Nite and Sawhney, the Pioneers’ top four players, won their singles matches. St. Edmonds won the No. 5 and 6 matches. Stickels and Morales then played the No. 1 doubles match, crushing their opponent 6-2, 6-2 and sealing the win.
MSAE 5, Boone 0
1. Stickels (MSAE) def Smith (Boone) 6-2, 6-1
2. Morales (MSAE) def Anderson (Boone) 6-0, 6-1
3. Nite (MSAE) def Newbold (Boone) 6-0, 6-1
4. Sawhney (MSAE) def Solomon (Boone) 6-1, 6-1
5. Fleshman (MSAE), ahead of Borsh (Boone) 6-1, 3-1 (play stopped)
6. Girindra Selleck (MSAE) def Erb (Boone) 6-3, 6-1
MSAE 5, St. Edmonds Fort Dodge 2
1. Stickels (MSAE) def Gailey (SEFD) 6-2, 6-2
2. Morales (MSAE) def Hancock (SEFD) 6-0, 6-1
3. Nite (MSAE) def Eide (SEFD) 6-3, 6-3
4. Sawhney (MSAE) def Averill (SEFD) 6-4, 6-4
5. Albright (SEFD) def Fleshman (MSAE) 6-3, 6-1
6. Laufersweiler (SEFD) def Selleck (MSAE) 6-1, 6-2
Doubles: Stickels/Morales (MSAE) def Gailey/Hancock (SEFD) 6-2, 6-2.