Pioneer boys’ tennis picks up win No. 6
Sometimes the bigger they are, the easier they fall.
Just ask the Pioneer boys’ tennis team, which hasn’t often had much trouble knocking the much larger schools down a peg or two. On Tuesday, the Pioneers claimed another of their large school victims, and they did it with their most dominant performance to date.
The Pioneers not only won every set they played against visiting Burlington, but they rarely even surrendered a game on their way to a 9-0 team sweep on the indoor courts in Fairfield.
The host team was nearly flawless in the singles matches and only dropped a total of five of 77 games played. Senior Raphael Gelfand and juniors Surya Sawhney and Avery Mullenneaux all won 6-0, 6-0 in their respective matches. Sophomore Sam Stickels earned a 6-0, 6-1 victory at No. 1 singles, and both freshman Chandre Morales and junior Girindra Selleck won 6-1, 6-1.
Doubles were more of the same for Maharishi School as Gelfand and Morales picked up a 6-0, 6-3 victory at No. 1 doubles, and Sawhney and Selleck won 6-2, 6-0 at No. 2. No. 3 doubles team Daniel Pirc and Mullenneaux cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 win.
The Pioneers (6-0) have the next few days off before returning to their own courts Saturday for the annual Pioneer Invitational in Fairfield. The tournament is set to get under way at 9 a.m.
Maharishi School vs. Burlington
1. Stickels (MSAE) def. Swink (B) 6-0, 6-1
2. Gelfand (MSAE) def. Sheagren (B) 6-0, 6-0
3. Sawhney (MSAE) def. Werner (B) 6-0, 6-0
4. Morales (MSAE) def. Adams (B) 6-1, 6-1
5. Selleck (MSAE) def. Behlman (B) 6-1, 6-1
6. Mullenneaux (MSAE) def. Morris (B) 6-0, 6-0
1. Gelfand/Morales (MSAE) def. Swink/Werner (B) 6-0, 6-3
2. Sawhney/Selleck (MSAE) def. Sheagren/Adams (B) 6-2, 6-0
3. Mullenneaux/Pirc (MSAE) def. Behlman/Hamison (B) 6-0, 6-1