Punj leads Fairfield boys in Albia
ALBIA — Sophomore Alexander Punj won the battle, but Albia won the war Monday as it topped Fairfield in non-conference tennis action.
Punj earned an 8-0 victory at No. 1 singles to get the Trojans started, but it was just a blemish in Albia’s otherwise dominant, 8-1 dual victory over the shorthanded Trojans.
Fairfield, which continues to search for its first win of the season, was without No. 2 singles player Josh Alonso and was unable to fill a full lineup Monday. Landen Greiner and Alex Simpson both moved up a spot in singles action in the absence of Alonso, and both fell 8-4. Punj and Simpson stayed close in No. 1 doubles before dropping an 8-5 match.
The Trojans return to action Thursday at Davis County.
Fairfield vs. Albia
1. Punj (FF) def. Hein (A) 8-0
2. V. Belt (A) def. Greiner (FF) 8-4
3. N. Belt (A) def. Simpson (FF) 8-4
4. O’Leary (A) def. Haile (FF) 8-0
5. Summers (A) def. Wood (FF) 8-0
6. Albia wins by default
1. Hein/Belt (A) def. Punj/Simpson (FF) 8-5
2. O’Leary/Summers (A) def. GreinerWood (FF) 8-2
3. Albia wins by default