Fairfield Ledger
http://fairfield-ia.villagesoup.com/p/1100004

Neighbors Growing Together | Aug 27, 2014

Red Kettle Campaign brings in $21,142

Jan 08, 2014

The Salvation Army Red Kettle Campaign ended Christmas Eve with a final total for the year of $21,142.66.

“This is an increase of $1,100 over last year,” said the Rev. Joe Phipps, volunteer coordinator for The Salvation Army in Jefferson County. “And that comes despite the fact that we had a shorter season, and we got off to a shaky start with a leadership change at the beginning of November. This is truly a thoughtful and generous community.”

According to Phipps, many organizations and individuals filled one or more of the two-hour “ringing” shifts at the Fairfield Hy-Vee and Walmart stores.

“Libertyville Savings, Fairfield Lions, Fairfield Kiwanis and Fairfield Friends Church were particularly well represented,” said Phipps.

He also pointed out many donations were dropped in the small Salvation Army kettles on the counters of both Casey’s locations, Caribou Coffee and Hy-Vee Gas.

Yummy’s Gourmet Cakes also had a special Salvation Army day and donated a dollar for every lunch special sold, Phipps added.

“Remember, 70 percent of all funds are available for use right here in Jefferson County,” said Phipps. “The other 30 percent is used by The Salvation Army for administrative expenses and national programs. The locally used funds are distributed by Howard Innis at First Church of the Nazarene.”

The “official” Red Kettle season has ended, but the needs met by these funds are felt year-round, so donations are welcomed any time. Contributions can be sent to Pastor Joe Phipps, 200 S. Main St., Fairfield 52556. For information, call 472-4315 or 641-233-7916.

 

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.