Fairfield Ledger
http://fairfield-ia.villagesoup.com/p/1091973

Neighbors Growing Together | Sep 15, 2014

Salvation Army kettles half way to $22,000 goal in Fairfield

Dec 13, 2013

The holiday season is well underway and the Salvation Army Red Kettle Campaign is in full swing. As of Tuesday, the kettles had brought in $8,874.34; with donations that arrived just before the ringing began, the current total is $10,963.56. This is just shy of the half-way point of the $22,000 goal, but there are now less than two weeks left in the campaign.

The Rev. Joe Phipps, volunteer coordinator for The Salvation Army in Jefferson County, said an anonymous donor put a $50 bill in one of the kettles.

Phipps also said ‘thanks” to all the organizations and individuals who have been at the Fairfield Hy-Vee Food and Drug Store and Walmart ringing bells to draw attention to the red kettles of The Salvation Army.

“If you haven’t had a chance to ring, there is still time,” said Phipps. “ Indeed, all time slots on Monday, Dec. 23 and Christmas Eve are currently available. There are also times available in the days leading up to Christmas Eve.”

Phipps reminded residents 70 percent of all funds collected locally are available for use in Jefferson County. The other 30 percent is used by The Salvation Army for administrative expenses. The locally used funds are distributed by Howard Innis at First Church of the Nazarene.

To volunteer to ring bells, call Phipps at 472-4315 or 233-7916 to schedule a day and time.

“It is more fun to participate if two people sign up for the same time slot and work together,” said Phipps. “It is recommended that you plan to schedule yourself for at least two hours. Also, please dress according to the wind and temperatures as we do not want anyone to suffer frostbite.”

To mail a contribution, send it to Pastor Joe Phipps at 200 S. Main St., Fairfield 52556.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.