Seneca offers gift ideas for seniors
Seneca Area Agency on Aging have suggested a few ideas that may brighten the holiday for older or disabled family member, friend or neighbor.
• The gift of friendship: call, write, email and visit on a regular basis.
• For Iowans 60 or older, a week or monthly lunch ticket for congregate meals; check with the Fairfield Senior Center.
• A pedometer for measuring distance while walking or a walking stick to assist them.
• A “coupon” redeemable for you to run errands with or for them a few times a month.
• A book of stamps and pre-addressed mailing labels to frequently mailed addresses.
• Tickets for two or a season pass to the theatre, a play, a movie or a concert — include transportation.
• Pre-paid 10-15 bus “tickets” for rides when they want them.
• A large-print magazine subscription, large print books, and/or audio books.
• Low-vision products, such as a large TV remote, magnifiers, large-print calendars, large-face playing cards, or large-button telephone.
• Install devices or home modifications to help prevent falls or accidents, such as hand rails.
• Gift certificates to grocery stores, restaurants, hair salon or barber.
• Gift certificate for monthly house cleaning.
• Offer to rake leaves, shovel snow, or mow the lawn on a regular basis throughout the year.
• Prepay their utility bill for a month.
• A gas card for travel or prepaid phone calling card for long-distance phone calls to family and friends.
• Calendar with family birthdays clearly marked.
• Cook extra meals and place in individual freezable containers.
• Wash their windows inside and out.
• Offer yourself as a willing, cheerful helper for the day to do chores — change light bulbs, put a new battery in the smoke detector, change the furnace filter, etc.
• Install devices to prevent crime or vandalism, like deadbolts, door hole viewer or an alarm system.
• Arrange for energy saving improvements, like installing weather stripping, storm doors and windows.
• Deliver a fresh basket of seasonal fruit or healthy snacks in person a few times over the year.
• Give them the gift of taking them to breakfast or lunch once a month.
For information on senior concerns, call Seneca at 800-642-6522.