Superintendent’s contract to last through 2016
Fairfield Community School District Superintendent Art Sathoff has job security through the 2015-16 school year, after the school board performed an annual job review in closed session Tuesday and extended his contract one year.
Sathoff’s contract already was set for 2013-14 at $139,900, and 2014-15 at $144,000. It was extended to school year 2015-16 at $149,040 in annual salary at a special school board meeting.
School board members present at Tuesday’s meeting included board president Jennifer Anderson, Jeri Kunkle, Amy Miller and Bob Waugh; absent board members were Rich Metcalf, Jeremy Miller and Jerry Nelson.
Anderson had tasked board members at the May school board meeting to review an evaluation form about Sathoff’s job performance.
She said two of the three absent board members Tuesday had forwarded their evaluation comments to her.
Sathoff’s benefit package includes 20 vacation days annually, in addition to legal holidays and other school vacations; the same single health insurance policy plus $76.66 per month as all full-time district employees; and a term life insurance policy with a face value of $300,000.
All other district administrators’ 2013-14 salaries were published in a Ledger article May 21.
Fairfield Community Education Association and the district reached an unprecedented agreement last year, negotiating two-year contracts for teachers. No new negotiations were needed this spring for certified staff.
However, the district had been waiting on the Iowa Legislature to approve an education budget, including a Teacher Salary Supplement, to approve 2013-14 teacher salary schedules.
The board approved the salary schedules Tuesday.
“After entering the new IPERS rate, new insurance premiums and ACA [Affordable Care Act] fees, and the Teacher Salary Supplemental allocation, it was determined that adding $199 to the base produces a total package settlement of 3.04 percent as approved in last year’s negotiations,” said Kim Sheets, business manager.
The minimum hiring salary for a beginning teacher in the district for 2013-14 is $34,264. All teachers’ salaries are published by the district in an annual legal notice in The Ledger.
In other personnel actions Tuesday, the board:
• Approved the list of coaching and supplemental activity contracts for 2013-14, except for those involved in summer programs. The board will issue contracts for the summer coaches after they have had a performance review.
• Approved bus driver contracts for 2013-14 school year. Bus drivers will be paid $82.74 to $84.76 for a regular daily route.
• Approved hiring Rose Pugh as Fairfield High School summer school teacher, at $22 per hour. FHS summer school will be held 8 a.m. to noon beginning Monday through July 3. Pugh is a FHS special education teacher.
• Approved contract termination of two FHS associates, Tony Vandegriff and Chris Frantz. Each of them worked as one-on-one associates with a student who will no longer be attending FHS.
• Approved the increase of Nohema Graber’s teaching contract from half time to full time due to an enrollment increase in Spanish classes.
• Accepted the resignation/retirement of Angevin Satre (Joy James) effective at the end of this school year. She has served in the district 23 years as Home School Assistance Program teacher.
• Accepted the resignation of Melissa Muir, preschool teacher. She is relocating. She has worked in the district five years.