Vision Loss Resource Fair set
Area residents will have an opportunity to learn about ways to maintain their independence and perform tasks that become frustrating or challenging because of vision loss during a Vision Loss Resource Fair 9:30 a.m. to noon Thursday at the Fairfield Arts & Convention Center.
The Fairfield Arts & Convention Center has partnered with the Iowa Department for the Blind, accessible technology vendors and local service providers to reach out to Iowans who are experiencing blindness or vision loss.
Special guest speaker Matthew J. Donner, an optometrist with Heartland Eye Care in Fairfield, will present a program on eye diseases and treatment from 10:30-11:15 a.m.
Other features of the resource fair include:
• Opportunity to visit with Iowa Department for the Blind staff;
• Find out how to have audio books and magazines home delivered;
• Learn about IRIS and Newsline, free newspaper reading programs;
• See demonstrations of assistive technology, magnifiers and screen reading devices by Magnification Resources, the Low Vision Store, and Vision Helpers;
• Receive information on the local support group;
• Learn tips on how to complete tasks when vision loss makes them difficult; and
• Learn about devices to help with everyday activities.
Becky Criswell, supervisor of the Independent Living Program at the Iowa Department for the Blind, is enthusiastic about the resource fair.
“People often fear that a loss of vision means a loss of independence and a loss of meaningful activities,” said Criswell. “These opportunities to meet with Iowans in their communities help people discover ways to maintain their independence and to continue activities they enjoy.”
The event is free and open to the public and is not only for those persons experiencing vision loss, but family members, friends, service providers and any other interested party.
For more information about the event or the Iowa Department for the Blind, contact Rick Dressler, communications specialist, at 515-281-1314 or Rick.Dressler@blind.state.ia.us.