’Wiches of Fairfield names top sandwiches
The Fairfield Iowa Convention and Visitors Bureau is rolling out a campaign to promote the best sandwiches in Fairfield.
Uniquely titled “The ’Wiches of Fairfield,” the campaign began with area restaurants submitting their best sandwiches to a panel of judges, who scored the sandwiches on both taste and appearance. After extensive tasting, the judges commented on the vast variety of submissions and declared there was not a loser in the bunch.
According to Terry Baker, assistant director for the CVB and project leader, “Fairfield is known for its restaurant variety, and we felt it was time to highlight the local culinary offerings — and sandwiches are a great place to start. Who doesn’t love a great sandwich?”
Participating restaurants included Binghimon’s Caribbean Kitchen, Doc’s Inn, George’s Pizza & Steak, Fairfield Hy-Vee Food and Drug Store Kitchen & Deli, Squeal Good BBQ, Ila, Sweet ’N Saucy BBQ, The Gardens, The Burning Oak, Top of the Rock Grille and Yummy’s Gourmet Cakes.
The judges identified 22 top sandwiches, which can all be seen at TravelFairfield.com.
The judges commented it was very challenging to judge the sandwiches because there was so much variety. As a result, rather than select an overall winner, the judges decided to give out 11 “Judge’s Choice” awards to, in alphabetical order:
• Bourbon Street Pork Melt from George’s Pizza & Steak;
• Chicken Reggae Wrap from Binghimon’s Caribbean Kitchen;
• Chicken Salad Wrap from Yummy’s Gourmet Cakes;
• Cow goes Oink from Squeal Good BBQ;
• Crab Cake Sandwich from the Fairfield Hy-Vee Kitchen;
• Falafel Sandwich from The Burning Oak;
• Guacamole Bacon Buffalo Burger from Docs Inn;
• Italian Meatball Sub from Ila;
• Slow Smoked Beef Brisket from Sweet ’N Saucy BBQ;
• Turkey Bacon Avocado Wrap from The Gardens; and
• Turkey Mozzarella Sandwich from Top of the Rock Grille.
“The bureau would like to invite the Fairfield public as well as visitors in the area to try the ’Wiches of Fairfield and find your favorite,” said Baker. “Join us on Facebook, and let us know which ones are your favorites.”
The CVB will highlight the ’Wiches of Fairfield in various food-related promotions in the coming weeks.
For more information on The ’Wiches of Fairfield, contact the CVB at 472-2828.