Youth art classes begin Monday
The Fairfield Art Association will host two youth art classes in “Engineering Paper” with Fairfield artist and teacher Alicia Carradus. Paper engineering is the cutting, gluing and folding of paper to create books and cards with pop-ups, pull-tabs, flaps and a variety of other moving parts.
The first class will be “Engineering Paper I, Basics” and be held Monday through July 11.
The following week, July 14-18, the class will be “Engineering Paper II, Advanced.”
Both classes are 9:30-11:30 a.m. Monday through Friday in the Fairfield Art Association Studio at the Fairfield Arts & Convention Center.
The classes are for youth in fourth through eighth grades.
Class fee is $40 for the week or $10 per day. Register with the instructor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The weekly class schedule format will be —
Engineering Paper I:
• Monday: “Boxes and Layers.” Turn two-dimensional paper into a three-dimensional scene.
• July 8: “Stacking Boxes - Pop-up City.” Create a three-dimensional city that folds flat.
• July 9: “V Fold — Chomp!” Make a moving mouth for a frog, monster or other creation.
• July 10: “Spiral.” Learn a beautiful technique that cascades three-dimensionally from one page to another.
• July 11: “Accordion Book.” Add surprise to an accordion book by incorporating pop-up techniques.
Engineering Paper II:
• July 14: “Advanced Box.” Make different shapes and sides.
• July 15: “Advanced V-Fold.” Experiment with different angles and the V-fold.
• July 16: “Tabletop Floating on Boxes.”
• July 17: “X Form.” Create an insect or bird with moving wings.
• July 18: “Blooming Flowers.” Build a bouquet of paper flowers that bloom.