Fairfield Ledger
https://fairfield-ia.villagesoup.com/p/1689707

Mt. Pleasant News   Wash Journal
Neighbors Growing Together | Nov 18, 2017

Libertyville: A look back in time

Sep 21, 2017

NOTE: Libertyville will be celebrating its 175th anniversary on Oct. 7. To lead up to the event, the town, its businesses and residents will be sharing highlights from the community’s history.

In 1843, the small log school house was replaced by a one-room building located east of the crossroads. With the growing population, this school soon became inadequate. A two-room school was erected where the present school stands.

In 1900, a two-story wooden school house was built. At first, grades 1 through 8 were taught, then grades 1- 11 were taught with seniors attending Fairfield. A few years later all 12 grades were offered in Libertyville.

A brick addition was added in 1931, including a gymnasium which was the largest among the Jefferson County’s smaller schools. Teams from surrounding schools loved to play basketball in the large, well-lit, wooden floored gymnasium. Only Fairfield had a more elaborate school.

In 1970, the present brick building was erected, retaining the gymnasium, and in 1971. the old wooden part of the school was removed. Libertyville’s last high school graduating class was in 1958 and they continue to have school reunions. Libertyville’s last elementary classes were held in the building in 2017.

Small Town — Great Place

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.