Fairfield Ledger

Mt. Pleasant News   Wash Journal
Neighbors Growing Together | Nov 19, 2017

Fairfield beats Washington in rain storm

Huma Liptak scores only two goals
By ALLYUS FRITZ/Ledger sports editor | Jun 04, 2014
Photo by: ALLYUS FRITZ/Ledger photo Katie Bell, left, handles the ball for Fairfield while Washington defender Stacy Ramirez attempts the steal Tuesday at Trojan Stadium.

Very rarely does a varsity soccer game move indoors, but that’s exactly what happened Tuesday at Trojan Stadium during the Fairfield girls’ regional soccer matchup against Washington.

Well, kind of.

Rain and lightning suspended the game at halftime, resulting in many fans to take cover in the gymnasium. A makeshift game of soccer broke out in the gym, as many of the younger fans grew restless. Fairfield players read and emptied the contents of their backpacks out on to the floor, looking for something to occupy their time. Washington players made an appearance in the stadium tunnel before returning to the locker room to wait out the storm. Everyone hoped to finish out the game.

Unfortunately, that’s not what occurred. The weather conditions only worsened over the more than one-hour delay, and because the first half was finished and that constitutes a completed game, the game was called. Fairfield, up 2-0 at half, will move to the next round of the regional playoffs Friday to play Clear Creek-Amana.

The rain and lightning began during the first half, but the referees allowed the game to continue, hoping to get at least the first half in the books.

“Once the game started the refs are in charge of calling off the game,” Fairfield coach Michiel Hekker said. “I believe the game should have been delayed before half time so the rest of the first half and second half could have been played the following day.”

Washington coach Kyle Collins shares that sentiment.

“Nobody called anything, and they managed to squeeze in that half because that officially ends the game,” Collins said. “So there’s nothing you can do.”

Regardless of how the situation was handled, the Trojans will be moving on. The game itself was extremely competitive. Huma Liptak scored to put the Trojans ahead 1-0 less than five minutes into the game. Liptak would score again at the 17:58 mark. Fairfield controlled the game for the first 20 minutes, and very easily could have been up by more than two goals.

“We created a lot of chances, but just needed better finishing in order to beat Washington’s keeper,” Hekker said.

Washington began to get scoring chances late in the half, while also eliminating chances for the Trojans.

“We were starting to adjust and pick up what was going on,” Collins said. “We had quite a few scoring opportunities in front of their net near the end.”

Washington’s best chance came courtesy of Chayse Jaspering, who took the ball into the Fairfield zone by herself with just a minute to go. Right before she could get a shot off, the ball was forced away from her and then launched out of the zone by Trojan goalie Keri Schwarz.

Washington finishes the season 4-11. Fairfield moves up to 13-3 and will face No. 6 Clear Creek-Amana Friday in Tiffin.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.