Fairfield Ledger

Mt. Pleasant News   Wash Journal
Neighbors Growing Together | Sep 22, 2018

Fairfield boys’ soccer defeats Demons 3-2, Panthers 2-1

By Justin Webster/Doug Brenneman | Apr 16, 2018
Photo by: GTNS photo Fairfield sophomore Leone Gichure scored with 3:57 remaining in the game Friday at Mt. Pleasant to give the Trojans a 2-0 lead. The Panthers scored with under a minute to play, making Gichure’s goal the game-winner.

With the temperatures finally warmed up, the Fairfield and Washington high school boys’ soccer teams heated up their offenses Thursday in Washington.

But as the evening cooled, so, too, did the scoring.

The visitors escaped with a 3-2 win over the Demons in a Southeast Conference match.

There were three goals scored in the first 10:31 of play.

Zacary Stout celebrated his birthday with a bit of a present. He found a loose ball just inside midfield and blasted it 45 yards into the top left corner of the net for a 1-0 Demon lead just 6 minutes into the match.

“It is always nice when the birthday boy gets the first goal of the game,” Washington head coach Sally Hart said. “I just wish we could’ve held onto that lead throughout the match.”

The Trojans tied it when Chaysten Titus ran down a goal kick and netted it into the lower right corner of the net with 30:18 remaining. Less than two minutes later, Xavier Kapijimpanga assisted on Jordan Guezimane’s goal for a 2-1 Fairfield lead.

It was tied at 2-2 when Anthony Torres converted a free kick from just outside the box for the Demons 14:54 before halftime.

“I think their second goal shifted momentum a little bit towards them,” Fairfield head coach Felisto Guezimane said. “They got a little more confident. In the second half, we did not start very well. There were a lot of long balls which is not the way we like to play. It was just a little bit out of character for us.”

Numerous forays by both teams were turned aside as defense ruled the second half.

Titus scored the deciding goal from 40 yards out on a hot grounder right down the middle of the field with just 6:04 left in the match.

“The way my team started the second half, it was just not us,” Guezimane said. “We had too many long balls, but I I’ll take that one. I was not expecting that ball to go in.”

“We talked after the game about how our offense was a lot more solid in the first half and our defense was a lot more solid in the second half,” Hart said. “We need to find a way to marry those together on the field at the same time. We need to have both of those the whole way through.”


Mt. Pleasant April 13

The Trojans took home a second straight road conference win versus an SEC foe when they defeated Mt. Pleasant 2-1 Friday night.

Chaysten Titus had a shot on goal off of a free kick early on, with the Panthers Cade Warner returning the favor with a shot on Trojan goalie Max Anderson shortly after, although both teams failed to score. With 12 minutes left in the first half Anderson had a solid save followed up by what appeared to be a Dagan Burnett goal for Fairfield that was ruled a hand-ball, erasing the score.

After a late push by the Trojans, the two teams went into the half tied at 0-0.

With 27 minutes remaining, Chaysten Titus got a steal and turned it into an odd-man rush, but the Trojan shot sailed wide. Fortunately, with 25:22 remaining in the game, Xavier Kapijimpanga gave the Trojans a 1-0 advantage with a sliding goal past the keeper.

Goalie Max Anderson earned his milk money with 12:20 left as he made a diving save on a shot by Mt. Pleasants’ Kyle Medina. In the ensuing moments, Fairfield’s Nicholas Frisbie got one-on-one with the keeper after a nice cross, but sent his attempt too high.

Anderson made another fantastic save with 4:40 left on a shot by the Panthers Payton Kelly that he had to leap to deflect and :43 seconds later sophomore Leone Gichure scored for Fairfield, giving them a two goal advantage, with less than four minutes remaining. Gichure scored on a deep pass on the near side before he broke away for the score.

With :43 remaining, the Panthers finally scored when Payton Kelly slide up the near sideline to cut the Trojan lead to 2-1, but it was too little, too late.

The boys will now face Knoxville Tuesday night at 4:30 p.m. and the junior varsity following immediately after.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.