Fairfield Ledger

Mt. Pleasant News   Wash Journal
Neighbors Growing Together | Nov 22, 2017

Fairfield girls win against Demons

By AARON VINER/Golden Triangle News Service | May 23, 2014
Photo by: AARON VINER/GTNS photo Fairfield's Elaine Brandt kicks the ball with Washington defender Kristen Barber right behind her.

The Washington girls’ soccer comeback bid came up just short at home against Fairfield on Thursday night.

The two goal first half by the Trojans proved too much for Washington to overcome as Fairfield defeated the Demons 2-1.

“They were pressuring our defense,” Washington head coach Kyle Collins said. “They had a couple girls up there staying on them and we just didn’t mark up right a couple times and that’s all it takes. It was 2-0 at half and we adjusted to try to stop that in the second half.”

Fairfield took charge early and eight minutes in, Huma Liptak knocked in a mid-range shot past Washington keeper Stephanie Evans for a goal.

For much of the first half, the Trojans were on the attack, generating numerous offensive opportunities. Evans was able to keep Fairfield out of the net until Liptak found another seam for her second goal of the game at the 30-minute mark.

Fairfield took the 2-0 lead into halftime, and seemed to have all the momentum, but Washington was ready with adjustments coming out of the break.

“Compared to the first half when [Fairfield] was just getting by and taking multiple shots, it wasn’t helping me, but I should have [saved] those two,” Evans said. “In the second half we came out and I would say we won the half.”

Washington wasted no time picking up a goal in the second half. Four minutes in, Chayse Jaspering sped past a pair of Fairfield defenders and fired a shot that found the back of the net.

Evans kept the Trojans out of the back of the net the entire second half, but the Washington offense couldn’t find another goal.

“We had a little more space [in the first half] and when [Liptak] took her shots, she took them from the 18,” Fairfield coach Michiel Hekker said. “In the second half, Washington closed out quicker so it was tough to get those shots off, so we had weaker shots from further out in the second half.”

Although Washington was handed the loss, there was a lot of talk after the game about the play of Evans, who made critical and athletic saves throughout the game.

“On the offensive side, we couldn’t get one in (in the second half) because their keeper stopped everything,” Hekker said. “She had tremendous diving saves and was covering the entire box.”

This was nothing new to Collins, who praised her effort to keep Washington in the game.

“[Stephanie] does awesome,” Collins said. “She comes out every game and gives it her best and there is not more I can say about it. She’s an animal, goes after every ball and makes every dive she can, and if she can’t get it, it is going to be a good shot. She makes some awesome saves.”


Soccer Recap

Huma Liptak scored both goals for the Trojans. Liptak scored both goals last game as well and now has 18 on the season. Elaine Brandt recorded one assist.

The Trojans (9-3) travel to Keokuk tonight in hopes of earning a share of the Southeast Conference title. Fairfield still has to play Mt. Pleasant on Tuesday and Mid-Prairie on Thursday.

Fairfield will open the postseason at home June 3 against Washington. The winner will play in Tiffin against either Clear Creek-Amana or Mid-Prairie.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.