Fairfield Ledger

Mt. Pleasant News   Wash Journal
Neighbors Growing Together | Oct 18, 2017

Firefighters spend night battling blaze

By NICOLE HESTER-WILLIAMS Ledger staff writer | Nov 04, 2016
Photo by: ANDY HALLMAN/Ledger photo Fairfield Fire Department deployed its aerial truck to battle a blaze at a residence (on the right in the background) on North Main Street early this morning.

The lingering smell of smoke wafted in the air this morning after the Fairfield Fire Department finished extinguishing a fire at 304 N. Main St.

Fire Chief Scott Vaughan said fire crews were called to the scene around 3 a.m. today to find a four-unit apartment house ablaze.

“Most of the fire was contained in the attic,” Vaughan said. “Everyone got out of the house. The [American] Red Cross was called, and all of the residents were placed in hotels for the rest of the night.”

Those residing in a separate structure behind the house were also evacuated. Vaughan said residents in nearby homes were evacuated, because flames were shooting from the roof of the affected structure.

Jason Shoucair, a resident in one of the apartment homes, said that that he awoke to the smell of smoke.

“I was asleep and I heard a crackling sound in the attic. I woke up in the middle of smoke coming from the fire. I opened the door and all of the smoke was coming from the living room area,” Shoucair said, adding that he immediately called 911.

Although Shoucair said he couldn’t get his clothing out of the house in time, he did manage to save another life — his pet rabbit, Fluffy.

Shoucair said that he had heard that a cat in the house wasn’t so lucky.

“I think the cat was in a cage and they couldn’t get it out,” he said.

Although Vaughan said the fire was contained to the attic, the rest of the building sustained smoke and water damages.

“We’re going to tape it off and nobody can go back in until after the insurance investigator comes,” he said.

Vaughan said he wasn’t certain yet about what caused the blaze, but that just by “looking at it,” it appeared to be electrical.

Vaughan said the Libertyville Fire Department offered mutual aid.

“We had around a dozen from Libertyville. Midwest Ambulance was on standby and the [Fairfield] Police Department evacuated the houses around the area,” Vaughan said.

The Ledger reached out to the building’s landlords, but they were unable to be reached prior to publication time.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.