Fairfield Ledger

Mt. Pleasant News   Wash Journal
Neighbors Growing Together | Jul 20, 2018

Libertyville: A look back in time

Sep 07, 2017

NOTE: Libertyville will be celebrating its 175th anniversary on Oct. 7. To lead up to the event, the town, its businesses and residents will be sharing highlights from the community’s history.


On July 4, 1842, while the men celebrated with loud salutes the women cooked a feast in the new Jewett barn located just east of the intersection. The Jewetts had three daughters and twin sons named Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett. The boys looked so much alike that only their parents could tell them apart; the two played many tricks on the townsfolk. John Jewett hired a surveyor to plot the town and was the first postmaster.

At this time, two roads passed through Libertyville, the old Dragoon Trail from the Mississippi River to the Indian agency, 12 miles west; the other from Fairfield to the Des Moines River. Stage Coach Inn was a busy stop as the stage coach made an overnight stop there; sleeping quarters, meals and fresh horses were available.

Small Town — Great Place

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.