Fairfield Ledger

Mt. Pleasant News   Wash Journal
Neighbors Growing Together | Nov 24, 2017

New rules to help manage vegetation near boat docks

Aug 14, 2014

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is proposing to amend rules that will allow dock permittees more flexibility in removing aquatic vegetation around boat docks and to create boating pathways to open water without a permit.

The proposal will be discussed during two public meetings: 6 p.m., Aug. 28, at the DNR Wildlife Station, Balsam Avenue, Ventura; and 1:30 p.m., Sept. 4, in the fourth floor conference room, Wallace State Office Bldg., 502 East Ninth Street, Des Moines.

Recent lake and watershed restoration efforts to improve water quality have been very successful. Clear water is a benefit of improved water quality but may result in the growth of dense-rooted aquatic plants.

Dock permittees, faced with excessive growth of rooted aquatic plants around boat docks and in pathways to open water, have requested a streamlined process for removing such vegetation.

The proposal is intended to give dock permittees additional justification to remove aquatic vegetation without a permit, thereby eliminating the time it takes the DNR to review and issue permits and for dock permittees to remove the vegetation in a manner that does not harm water quality or aquatic life.

Any person may submit written suggestions or comments on the proposed amendments through Sept. 4. Such written material should be submitted to Martin Konrad, Iowa Department of Natural Resources, 502 East 9th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0034, fax 515-281-8895, or by email to Martin. Konrad@dnr.iowa.gov. Persons who have questions may contact Martin Konrad by email or by telephone at 515-281-6976.

Persons may present their views orally or in writing. At the hearing, persons will be asked to give their names and addresses for the record and to confine their remarks to the content of the proposed amendments.

Any persons who intend to attend the public hearing and have special requirements, such as those related to hearing or mobility impairments, should contact the DNR and request specific accommodations.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.