Fairfield Ledger

Mt. Pleasant News   Wash Journal
Neighbors Growing Together | Nov 24, 2017

Rent reimbursement form changed

Jan 09, 2013

The rent reimbursement form has been redesigned this year.

The form can be accessed online at www.iowa.gov/tax/forms/11541320.pdf.

If you choose not to calculate the amount, the Department of Revenue will do it for you.

If you’ve applied for a rent reimbursement before, you will receive a pre-printed form in early January. The Department of Revenue will not make blank forms available until Monday.

Joan Nydle, information and assistance and family caregiver specialist with Seneca Area Agency on Aging, explained who is eligible for the rent reimbursement:

1. You lived in Iowa all or part of 2012, and live in Iowa now, and

2. Your household income is less than $21,335, and

3. The rental unit you lived in is subject to property tax, and

4. You (or your spouse) were born before 1948, or

5. You (or your spouse) were age 18 to 64 as of Dec. 31, 2012 and totally disabled. Totally disabled means you are unable to get a job paying more than $1,010 per month due to a physical or mental disability which has lasted, or is expected to last for at least one year. Proof of disability must be attached to your claim.

Married couples living together are considered one household and can file only one claim, combining both incomes. If they do not live together, they may file separate claims.

Other persons living together who qualify for a reimbursement may each file a claim based on their income and share of rent paid.

If you lived in a nursing home or care facility, contact the administrator for the amount to enter on line C, Title 19 benefits. Or, enter 20 percent of benefits if living in a nursing home, or 40 percent if living in a care facility.

Forms and instructions for all programs can be found on the Iowa Department of Revenue website and at Seneca Area Agency on Aging central office in Ottumwa.

For more information about forms and instructions, or any senior or caregiver related issues, call Seneca Area Agency on Aging at 641-682-2270 or 800-642-6522.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.