Fairfield Ledger

Mt. Pleasant News   Wash Journal
Neighbors Growing Together | Nov 23, 2017

Residents reminded to register dogs, cats

Libertyville residents must register their dogs and cats by Jan. 31, while Fairfield residents have between now and June to register their dogs.
Jan 04, 2013

LIBERTYVILLE — Libertyville city officials are reminding residents its time to license their dogs and cats.

According to a Libertyville city ordinance, “Every owner of a dog or cat 6 months or older shall procure a license for such dog or cat from the clerk’s office on or before the 31st day of January each year.”

The fee is $5 for each animal. For each dog after three, the fee is $25 each, and for each cat after three, the fee is $25 each. Any person or household procuring eight or more tags must provide documentation they are a licensed kennel with the state.

To obtain a license, a pet owner must show a certificate of rabies vaccination from a licensed veterinarian, and the vaccination can’t expire before Jan. 1 of the following year.

Tags are now available at Libertyville City Hall. A copy of the ordinance also is available.

Dog owners in Fairfield have until June 30 to get their pets registered at Fairfield City Hall without risking any additional fines.

The licensing fee is $10 for spayed or neutered dogs and $50 for unaltered dogs. After June 30, the fee will increase by $1 each month.

Under the city’s animal control ordinance, dog licenses must be renewed every year between January and June. The ordinance only applies to those living within city limits.

Puppies less than 6 months old do not have to be registered. Anyone who moves into town or obtains a new dog has one month to get the animal registered.

The license application asks for the owner’s name, address and phone number, as well as the dog’s name, breed, age, sex, weight and color. It also asks for information regarding any special markings or training the dog has had and the last date and tag number of the animal’s rabies vaccination.

When a dog owner registers his pet with the city of Fairfield, he receives a tag with the year, city and license number on it. If someone finds a dog, the tag’s license number can be used to report it at either city hall or the Jefferson County Law Enforcement Center where copies of the applications are kept. The owner can be saved some additional fees, if the law center or city hall is able to contact the owner directly.


Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.