Fairfield Ledger

Mt. Pleasant News   Wash Journal
Neighbors Growing Together | Oct 18, 2017

Teen hospitalized after air freshener causes car explosion

Sep 22, 2016

BERLIN (AP) — A German teenager has suffered serious injuries after accidentally creating an explosion in the family car with air freshener.

Police in the western city of Duisburg say the 17-year-old boy had been trying Wednesday to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke in a recently purchased secondhand Volkswagen SUV.

They say the teen sprayed so much air freshener inside the vehicle that it turned into a “combustible gas mixture.” The gas ignited when he opened the passenger door and a light switched on.

Police said in a statement today that the force of the explosion blew out the vehicle’s large glass sunroof.

The unidentified teen was hospitalized with burns to both arms.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.