Fairfield Ledger

Mt. Pleasant News   Wash Journal
Neighbors Growing Together | Nov 23, 2017

Trojan girls' soccer defeats Panthers 5-2 in conference play


The sun was shining at East Lake Park in Mt. Pleasant on Monday evening and that led to a lot of offensive chances between SEC rivals Mt. Pleasant and Fairfield.

The Panthers took an early lead but the high-powered Trojan offense was too much as Fairfield got away with a 5-2 victory.

The two teams traded chances back and forth throughout the first half, but the scoring didn’t start until 12:35 was remaining in the period.

It was Mt. Pleasant freshman Liz Perry who broke the 0-0 tie. She dribbled the ball through traffic and kissed it off the far post for the first Panther goal of the season, to make it 1-0.

Fairfield immediately responded with a near-side rush, that was capitalized on when Emma Rosner sent a bullet off of Panther keeper Amber Fielder and into the net to make it 1-1.

Just a few minutes later, the Trojans were back at it again. This time it was Aliegha Kensett with the score.

She took a high cross and knocked it in on the short side to bring the Fairfield lead to 2-1, where it would stay until halftime.

Mt. Pleasant was the first to strike again in the second half, and once again it was Perry with the goal.

Perry and Catherine Prough crashed the net as a shot went off of Fairfield keeper Kelsey Hollander. The ball got knocked loose and Perry was able to squirt the ball through for the second Panther goal with 29:25 remaining.

Prough nearly gave the Panthers the lead shortly after the equalizing goal. She had a big rush down the near side but Hollander made a diving stop and the Trojans kicked it out of the zone to keep the game tied.

The Trojans took back the lead with 26:12 remaining. Kristin Burnstedt sent a laser in after a far-side rush to make it 3-2.

Burnstedt put her second goal on the board just over one minute later. She spun around to avoid a few Panther defenders and launched a shot from outside the box over Fielder and into the net, which made it 4-2.

With five minutes remaining, Mt. Pleasant nearly cut the lead back to one goal. Prough was taken down in the box to earn a penalty kick, but Mary West’s PK attempt went just over the crossbar.

The Trojans tacked on one more goal by Rosner in the final ticks and walked out with a 5-2 win to start conference play.

Fairfield moved to 1-0 overall and 1-0 in the SEC. They’ll play their first non-conference game today (Tuesday) at 7 p.m., on the road in Ottumwa.

Mt. Pleasant fell to 0-2 overall and 1-0 in the SEC.

They’ll hit the road to face Keokuk on Thursday at 5:30 p.m.


Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.