Fairfield Ledger

Mt. Pleasant News   Wash Journal
Neighbors Growing Together | Oct 18, 2017

Trojans hang on in OT, defeat Bloodhounds

Fairfield led 28-6 at halftime
By ALLYUS FRITZ/Ledger sports editor | Oct 14, 2013
Photo by: ALLYUS FRITZ/Ledger photo Fort Madison scores a touchdown to put the score at 28-26 Fairfield. The Bloodhounds would convert the 2-point conversion and send the game to overtime.

FORT MADISON – It was a tale of two halves.

Just when the Trojans thought Fort Madison was down and out, the Bloodhounds fought back to force overtime in what was most likely the most exciting game of the year for both teams. Fairfield won 35-34, but how the game even got to that point is the memorable part.

Fairfield stopped Fort Madison on the Bloodhounds’ initial drive. The Trojans would strike fast with a 64-yard touchdown run from Dakota Nye.

Fairfield’s next drive ended with a fumbled snap. Fort Madison would soon put up its first points of the game but missed the extra point, resulting in a 7-6 lead for the Trojans.

The rest of the first half would be best described as completely one sided. Kicker Federico Ferretti knocked through two field goals, both from 33 yards out. Fairfield quarterback Cameron Baumann connected with Jonathan Hoehne over the middle for a 53-yard touchdown pass with just over five minutes to go in the second quarter. Soon after, Baumann threw another touchdown pass from nine yards out to Alex Crile, who beat the corner back on a slant route. That touchdown was set up by a blatant pass interference call on Fort Madison that the referee deemed “the easiest call ever.”

The Trojans entered the locker room at halftime winning 28-6.

Then the game switched gears, and it was Fort Madison’s turn to be productive.

The Trojans got the ball first in the second half with a chance to put the game out of reach. Fairfield failed to do so, and punted the ball away. The Bloodhounds built their first true drive of the game at that point, with quarterback Cruz Fedler finding Ben Votroubek for a touchdown. The Fort Madison 2-point conversion attempt failed, putting the score at 28-12.

Fairfield’s Alex Christensen then fumbled the kickoff and it was recovered by Fort Madison’s Jack Wright. Alex Hayes, who rushed for 126 yards and three touchdowns for the Bloodhounds, scored on the first play of the fourth quarter. Fort Madison would execute the 2-point conversion this time, putting the score at 28-20.

“A lot of courage came from our kids. They’ve never shown that before,” Fort Madison coach Todd McGhghy said. “They fought back hard, and this program has never seen that kind of fight before, ever.”

The turnovers continued for the Trojans. An interception and a fumbled handoff later, the game was tied at 28. Fairfield turned the ball over three times in the second half.

“That’s how you let a team like Fort Madison back in the game,” Fairfield coach Mike Schenck said. “Some of that you can credit them, but we made some mistakes that really hurt us and switched the momentum.”

Fairfield launched an attempt to win the game in regulation. The Trojans started their drive with 1:18 on the clock. Baumann completed two passes, and then a defensive interference call put the Trojans at the 27-yard line. Using the wheel route that has been so effective for Fairfield over the last few weeks, Baumann hit Jordan Reid for a 27-yard touchdown. The Trojan faithful erupted, however the cheers dissipated as quickly as they started.


The penalty brought the play back. Crile then did his best to get the team in field goal position. Baumann delivered a ball to him along the sideline. Crile caught it, fought off his defender, and dove out of bounce to stop the clock at 4.9 seconds. The 20-yard gain was for naught, however, because Ferretti’s attempt went wide left.

The Trojans found themselves in overtime.

“What I’m most proud of is that it would have been easy for us to hang our heads in overtime, and they didn’t do that,” Schenck said. “They came up and made the big play when they had to.”

Baumann scored from 10 yards out on the first play of overtime. Fort Madison answered, making the score 35-34. That’s when McGhghy decided to go for the win and go for two.

“I think we did the right thing, putting the ball in the hands of seniors and saying, ‘hey, let’s do this,’” McGhghy said. “It just didn’t work out for us.”

Hayes would slip and then get met by Fairfield defenders. The Trojans escaped.

The Trojans play their last conference opponent of the season on Friday when Centerville comes to Fairfield.


District Summary

Washington and Williamsburg both had little trouble defeating district foes Friday. Keokuk and Fort Madison fell behind in the playoff picture as the Trojans surged past them. A Fairfield victory over Centerville would almost guarantee the Trojans a playoff spot.


Team, Overall Record, District Record

Washington 6-1 4-0

Williamsburg 5-2 4-1

Centerville 4-3 3-1

Fairfield 3-4 2-3

Ft. Madison 2-5 1-3

Keokuk 2-5 1-3

Mt. Pleasant 0-7 0-4


Class 3A District 7 Games (10/11)

Fairfield 35, Fort Madison 34 OT

Carlisle 45, Centerville 14

Washington 51, Mount Pleasant 7

Williamsburg 48, Keokuk 0


Freshmen Game

The Fairfield freshmen football team lost Friday to Fort Madison 28-8.

“We struggled being consistent on offense and gave up a couple of big plays on defense that really cost us,” coach Brad Repp said.

Trenton Hanen carried the ball 16 times and gained 68 yards. Braden Miller rushed for 53 yards.

Hanen and Michael Fritz led the team in tackles with seven. Kyle Roberts chipped in with five tackles. Miller had three tackles and returned an interception for a touchdown.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.